- About us
- United Nations
- Services for Australians
- Visas and migration
- Travelling to Australia
- Doing business with Australia
- Study in Australia
- About Australia
- Travel advice
- Register with us
The Australian Permanent Mission to the United Nations
Consular and Passports Assistant
Undertaking the checks, interviews and processing involved in the issue of Australian passports.
Assisting in the provision of consular and reception services, including notarial acts, prison visits, interviews and translations.
Providing advice on regulations, instructions and procedures relating to Australian consular and passport functions.
Applicants should have:
Full fluency in English. Fluency in French highly desirable. German language skills also an advantage.
High-level interpersonal skills and a capacity to exercise discretion.
Ability to understand Australian procedures relating to consular & passport matters in Switzerland.
Ability to understand Swiss laws & regulations relating to consular & passports operations.
Well-developed IT skills (Microsoft environment).
Applications not meeting the selection criteria will not be considered.
Please submit applications to:
Applications close Friday 20 June 2014.
Position Description – Geneva Post, April 2014
About the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT)
The role of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) is to advance the interests of Australia and Australians internationally. This involves strengthening Australia’s security, enhancing Australia’s prosperity, delivering an effective and high quality overseas aid program and helping Australian travellers and Australians overseas.
The department provides foreign, trade and development policy advice to the Australian Government. DFAT also works with other Australian government agencies to drive coordination of Australia’s pursuit of global, regional and bilateral interests.
About the Position
Under general direction the Consular and Passports Assistant provides passports and consular services.
The key responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
1. Undertake checks, interviews and processing involved in the issue of Australian passports
2. Within guidelines provide advice on regulations, instructions and procedures relating to Consular and Passport functions. Ensure that all passport information documents for the public are accurate and current.
3. Assist the Consular and Passports Manager in the provision of consular services to include notarial services, translations, and events such as elections/Anzac Day.
4. Assist the Consular and Passports Manager to provide back-up reception cover when required.
5. Undertake the duties of Sub-Collector.
6. Other tasks as and when necessary.
7. Other duties as required.
• Flexible and organised.
• High-level interpersonal skills and a capacity to exercise discretion and confidentiality.
• Ability to understand and apply Australian Government procedures relating to consular and passport matters in the Swiss environment.
• Ability to understand Swiss local laws and regulations relating to the operations of consular and passport matters.
• Good knowledge and experience in use of Microsoft Office suite of products.
• Fluent written and spoken English.
• Fluent written and spoken French.
• Ability to speak and/or read German an advantage.